The Federal Government has WITHDRAWN its suit against the Nigeria Labour Congress
and the Trade Union Congress.
The Federal Ministry of Justice in a letter dated August 7, 2023, and addressed to the
Nigeria Labour Congress, said the contempt proceedings filed against the congress for
embarking on a nationwide protest last week Wednesday had been overtaken by events and
such no longer stands.
The ministry in the letter addressed to the NLC’s counsel, Femi Falana and signed by the
Permanent Secretary, Beatrice Jeddy-Agba explained that the ministry filed the contempt
proceedings “before the interventions” of the President, Bola Tinubu, and the National
When contacted on Monday, as to whether the NLC would shelve its planned strike, Falana
said the decision rests on the labour leaders.
The NLC had last week Thursday said it would commence a nationwide strike on August 14,
2023, should the Federal Ministry of Justice fail to withdraw the lawsuit filed against the