The Presidency has described as “reckless”, a statement by former Vice President Atiku Abubakar calling for the resignation of President Bola Tinubu over rising killings and kidnappings in Nigeria.
In a statement, the Special Adviser to the President on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga said contrary to Atiku’s claims, Tinubu is on top of the security situation in Nigeria.
Atiku, the candidate of the main opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), earlier on Tuesday, descended on Tinubu for “playing fiddle while Nigeria is drowning in the ocean of insecurity”.
Atiku wrote in a post on X chiding the Commander-in-Chief for being on a private visit while kidnappers killed a nursing mother and grandmother in Abuja for failing to pay a N90m ransom and two monarchs in Ekiti State, among others.
However, in its response, the Presidency said Atiku’s statement “fell short of what is expected from an elder statesman”, accusing him of still nursing the hangover of his electoral defeat and now latches on any issue to attack President Tinubu.
The presidential statement read that while in France, President Tinubu has been following developments in Nigeria and he is on top of the situation, as well as working hard to restore peace to every part of the country.